This is simple. It may seem like a lot of effort but give it a go and you will never want store bought chips or roasties again. If you don’t fancy freezing them and just want them for tea just skip the freezing process and cook them.
- Potatoes – as many as you want I like to use Maris Piper or Wilja
- Peel potatoes (if you want skin on fries do not peel)
- Chop to desired size
- Add water to a pan with a bit of salt and add potatoes.
- Bring to the boil and cook for approx 7 minutes. This varies if the are skinny fries do less time 4-5 minutes and big roasties 8 minutes. Experiment with you times. You want them still firm so they hold a shape but par boiled.
- Drain off the water.
- I keep them in the pan and add oil. Gently shake the pan to coat the potatoes.
- Place a piece of baking baking on a tray and tip potatoes out. Spread them out in a single layer
- Leave them to cool and dry off.
- Place them still on the trays in to the freezer and leave them to freeze.
- When frozen tip the potatoes into a large freezer bag and now you have homemade frozen potatoes.
How to cook from frozen
- Heat your oven up to about 200/220 C you know your oven so go with what works for it.
- Line your baking tray. (I use baking paper as it stops potatoes sticking) Add a bit of oil for chips. For roasties do what you normally do. I love adding oil, garlic and thyme for extra delicious ones.
- Place potatoes on baking tray.
- Put in the oven. For chips cook for approx 25 minutes. Check on them after 10-15 and give them a shake and a flip. For roasties they will need longer 30-40 minutes.
My Favourite Flavouring Ideas
- Smokey paprika, garlic and onion salt
- Garlic salt and parmesan (add parmesan 10 mins before they are ready)
- Garlic and thyme
Let me see what you make and let me know what you think. Tag me on instagram @jenjensdesignsuk